Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Generation

I have had several conversations on the topic of growing up in the 70's & 80's, which by unanimous vote was the BEST time to grow up! I was a kid in the 70's and did high school & college in the 80's. I'm sure you have all received that email with all the things we had (or didn't have) growing up... Since there were only a few channels to chose from on the TV (unless you were lucky and had ON or Select cable TV), we would play OUTSIDE. We rode our bicycles (without helmets) and played games we made up ourselves (usually as we went along...) all over the neighborhood, as long as we were home when the street lights came on. When we got older, we went out nearly every night to a club, dancing or to see a band play. I myself went out dancing 3 or 4 nights a week in the 80's at El Paso Cantina in Long Beach and watched bands play at the Whisky a Go-Go on the Sunset Strip.

The reason why I am mentioning this is because I was having a conversation with a 21 year old who said the Wii was for "older people". I disagreed and he admitted that it also appeals to young kids too, but his generation was not much into it. I later thought about what he said and it all makes sense that his generation is into the XBOX and PS2 more, that generation did not grow up active, playing like WE did. The Wii makes you get up off the couch, move, PLAY! Just like we did growing up.

1 comment:

eat...drink...LIVE... said...

I sooooo agree with you on this!