Sunday, August 17, 2008

Frida

Last month when I was in San Francisco for work I noticed a lot of people walking around Union Square with large bags from the SFMOMA with Frida Kahlo on them. Curious, I pulled up the museum on my iphone and discovered that there was a Frida Kahlo exhibit there that opened in June. I HAD to see it! Unfortunately the museum is closed on Wednesdays, which was my free afternoon that visit. So this month I made arrangements to arrive in the city early on Tuesday to see the exhibit with my friend Heidi. We saw it last Tuesday and I am SO glad I saw it! It was so inspiring, so beautiful, so personal, so moving, I could go on and on... Growing up, Georgia O'Keeffe was my idol, my inspiration, the reason why I wanted to paint. I discovered Frida Kahlo much later and only recently learned more about this amazing artist and woman that made me appreciate her contribution to the art world so much more. I have to admit, I left the museum with this overwhelming desire to go home and paint. I haven't pulled out the oils, brushes and canvas yet, but my creative juices have been flowing none the less!

My favorite painting was "My Dress Hangs There", there being New York City.

No comments: