Sunday, April 04, 2010

Chick Magnet


When I was a little girl I LOVED baby chicks. My Grandma put a little tiny fuzzy chenille chick in my Easter basket every year that made me happier than the Sees chocolate egg and box of 64 crayons (which I got every year!) I would draw baby chicks all the time and Woodstock was my favorite Peanuts character because he looked like a little baby chick...

I can honestly say that I loved baby chicks to death. When I was about 4 or 5, our next door neighbor psychologist was doing a study on the incubation period of chickens and happened to have a garage full of baby chicks. Once hatched he would bring the ones that survived into the house in a box. His son & I would play with the baby chicks, however... I often would squeeze them because they were so cute! Unfortunately did not understand at the at age that I needed to be gentle with them and I literally "loved them to death". Yes, I would squeeze so hard that I killed them. I did not find this out until a few years later, when taking a train trip down to the San Diego Zoo with my Grandparents. A week before the trip my Dad gave me a little insta-matic camera to take pictures of the animals. I kept talking about going to the Petting Zoo and seeing the baby chicks, but was sternly instructed I could take pictures ONLY, I could NOT touch the baby chicks! I took nearly an entire roll of the baby chicks and I did not touch. Happy Spring! Happy Easter!

No comments: